Unfortunately we were not successful in our application to be a part of GCI in 2012. Google received many more applications for the program than they are able to accommodate.
Many thanks to everyone who submitted tasks or who volunteered to be a mentor. We have been encouraged to reapply in the future so with luck we will take part in another year.
- Paul Johnson - Chief Organiser
- Mark Keating - Back-up Organiser
- Wesley Johnson - Organiser
- Florian Ragwitz - Organiser
- Robin Smidsrød - Organiser
It is the mentors who make GCI work. Last year we were lucky enough to have 50 wonderful volunteer mentors. Having so many mentors reduces the load on each mentor and allows us to easily cover for one another.
Mentors are the students' primary point of contact. As a mentor you will ultimately judge the student's work on the task and suggest areas for improvement or sign-off that the task has been completed. Students may need some assistance in completing the task. Remember that they will be teenagers and may never have used Perl before.
When a student submits their work for evaluation they may be looking for a quick response. They can only work on one task at a time and some students will be trying to complete many tasks to have a chance of winning the grand prize. So we would like to be able to send a reply within 24 hours, and certainly within 36 hours. To this end game console parts cell phone spare parts, it is generally useful to be able to have more than one mentor associated with each task, and to coordinate amongst the mentors regarding availability, especially over holiday periods. The programme runs from November 26th 2012 to January 14th 2013.
If you would like to be a mentor, please add your name and email address below, and join us in irc://irc.perl.org/#gci. If you have a specific task or project for which you would like to mentor then feel free to mention that. If you are willing to pick up any tasks for which you are able to help then we need you too!
- Dan Woods (email@example.com)
- Steffen Schwigon (backup mentor, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lubos Kolouch (email@example.com)
- Alan Haggai Alavi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Breno G. de Oliveira (garu at cpan)
- Tadeusz Sośnierz (tadeusz.sosnierz at onet.pl)
- Ron Savage (email@example.com)
- j3nnn1 (jcmm986 at gmail.com)
Showing changes from previous revision.